Sunday, July 17, 2005

holy freaking crap!

my hand is a claw. my eyes are blurry. i slugged some red wine way too fast.

you guessed it--job search time is nigh. again.

i have always despised looking for jobs. i hate "selling myself." i hate the gladhanding and the fakeness and the bullshit.

after today, everything will be much easier for the rest of the meat market season. but today I had not only to update my resume and tweak the physical appearance of it, i also had to write a new cover letter from scratch. both items had to be short, more than a page is too much. sounds easy, right? except that there's a ton to say and no space to say it. and i fell in love with a particular font and had to make everything fit even though it's significantly larger than the old one.

the good news is that i actually have something to sell this year. more so than last year. my grades are better and i have worked two law related jobs--unlike before when i was just barely in the top half of my class and had only been a waitress or clerk.

so here is my advice to the up and comers...

bust your ass first year!!!

i cannot stress this enough. your job searching can end first semester of your second year if you play your cards right...but you have to have done well enough by the end of your first year to secure a good job at a decent firm (or elsewhere) that will make you an offer at the end of your 2L summer. then, voila! you can relax and just be a student instead of assembling 88 individual packages of resume/cover letter/writing sample/transcript in a single night.

so i've signed, stapled and collated myself raw and all i want to do is crawl into a hole. talk to me tomorrow, i'm sure i'll feel totally accomplished and badass. right now i'm just spent. send good mojo to texas and the northeast for me. i'd hate to have done all this work and get no interviews or jobs out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home